Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Smilin' Through

Today I am going to take a look at the oldest movie that I have watched to date.  The movie was released on September 24, 1932; and it looked it.  This is one of the movies that I had on DVR thanks to Turner Classic Movies.  The biggest trial to me in watching a movie this old is not so much if I will be bored out of my mind.  Which to date I have not been, but I am sure one day it will come.  It is the general condition of the film.

If you look around on the Internet enough on you will find all kinds of information on old movies.  Are they on DVD, have they been restored and the list goes on and on.  I am not positive to the status of such things on this particular film, however I found the visual quality to be quite poor.  It seemed very dark to me, maybe it is just these old eyes, but if this movie has been restored, a poor job was done.  If it has not been restored it is sorely needed.  Of all of the black and white films I have watched thus far, this was the first one that I felt was difficult to actually see.  The film was similar to an old sepia tinted photograph, where the subject of the composition was quite clear, yet the edges were not and very dark.  Perhaps, this was what the film maker was going for and I am just not that smart.  Like I said before, I have never claimed to be a film making expert.

The movie is based on a Jane Cowl and Jane Murfin play of the same name.  It was nominated for Outstanding Production or what is known as Best Picture in contemporary times.  It is important to note the origin of the Best Picture award, because you can see it from time to time, that a movie gets a Best Picture nominee and really isn't all that worthy from the standpoint of the story or other factors.  I am not going to argue the merits of certain Best Picture nominees or winners right now, I will get to that when I blog about the particular movie, but I think Titanic and Avatar are good examples of this.  I believe they were nominated more for the grand scale of the production.  It is almost as if, you create this rather large sound studio, pioneer new special effects, you are a shoe in for a Best Picture nomination, but I digress.

Smilin Through stars Norma Shearer as Kathleen, Fredric March as Kenneth Wayne, and Leslie Howard as Sir John Carteret.  I am not sure why O. P. Heggie as Dr. Owen did not receive top billing as well, but he certainly deserved it.  It is also important to point out that both Shearer and March, actually play two roles in this movie, though it is not reflected in the credits.

Carteret is Kathleen's Uncle, and he becomes her guardian at the age of five after an accident results in the death of her parents.  Sir John has been in mourning ever since his bride to be, Monyeen Clare dies before they were married.  The first scene in the movie is of Sir John speaking with Monyeen's ghost in the garden.  Monyeen is played by Shearer.  It is not until about mid movie that we actually find out what happened to Monyeen.

The story jumps from Kathleen age 5 to young adult with a simple but brilliant transition of a birthday cake with five candles to one in her late teens.  With this fast forward, the director moves us to the early days of World War I.  It is at this time that we are introduced to Willy Ainley played by Ralph Forbes.  Willy is the local boy that is in love with Kathleen and wants to marry her.  However, if you know anything about movies that never seems to happen.  See; To Each His Own.

Willie is with Kathleen when she meets Kenneth Wayne for the first time and it is obvious that she will fall in love with him.  Although they are in love, Sir John is appalled when he finds out that she has been seeing this man and threatens to disinherit her.  Ultimately Kenneth goes off to fight in the War as does Willie.  I will stop here because I do not want to spoil what happens for anyone who has not seen the movie.  Although I am sure most will be able to guess, Hollywood is nothing if not predictable.

As I mentioned earlier, I am not sure why O P Heggie did not receive the billing with the others.  His scenes with Howard are some of the best in the movie.  Especially the scenes where Carteret has become increasingly more and more bitter.  Dr. Owen is the epitome of a friend and the tough and frank discussions he has with Carteret made this movie for me.  This is not to say that March and Shearer were not excellent as well.  They were very good in their roles, even if it seemed to me it was just another version of Romeo & Juliet, or the Hatfield and McCoys.  They were excellent in their portrayal of forbidden love.  Though one of the scenes after the War seemed very forced and over acted to me.

One of these days, I am actually going to blog about a movie that was nominated and won.  Today will not be that day.  Some may have noticed that the Academy went to ten films for the Best Picture award a few years ago.  I know there was a reason for it, but I forget off hand and I am again too lazy to search for it.  There is a precedent though, because early on there were ten nominees, which is the case here. It is also important to note that early on they gave out awards for two years.  If you look this movie up in the database it will show as outstanding production 1932/1933.  That stopped in 1934.  The other nominees for 32/33 were

  • Cavalcade
  • A Farewell to Arms
  • 42nd Street
  • I'm a Fugitive from a Chain Gang
  • Lady for a Day
  • Little Women
  • The Private Life of Henry VIII
  • She Done Him Wrong
  • State Fair
Cavalcade took home the honor, however it is interesting to note that the AMPAS database also notes which film came in second and third in voting.  Those honors went to A Farewell to Arms and Little Women respectively.  This peaked my curiosity and I will have to find out when the stopped publishing the runner ups.

My final little tidbit on this movie is an observation that both my wife and I had, but I am unable to confirm it as fact.  Although I think it is an interesting possibility.  There is a scene where Kathleen and Wayne are on a "date" and they meet for breakfast or perhaps it is tea.  The movie is set in England after all, and you will have to excuse my ignorance of tea time etc.  This scene takes place in what appears to be a little cottage which is more than likely a set on some sound stage.  It looked eerily similar to the set of the Miniver's kitchen in Mrs. Miniver.  More specifically the scene where the downed German pilot is confronted by Mrs Miniver in her kitchen.

My wife and I are convinced that it was the same set and considering that both movies were released by MGM, I would think that it is very possible that this was the case.  The movies were released nine years apart so I am not sure that they would have still had the same set, but I suppose it is possible.  If anyone has seen both movies, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.  I'm sure there are many examples of this happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment